[AccessD] FW: Wedge Bar Code Scanners

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Mon Mar 5 09:42:29 CST 2018

Dear Lists:

A client of mine with who I am working long distance, needs a bar code
scanner to deliver bar code data to the app I wrote for him.

In the past I recommended to clients who needed bar code scanning to use the
'wedge' approach as to the app the scanned code looked like it was coming
from the keyboard, so no additional development or testing was required on
my part. Just click into the appropriate text box and walla! The code would
appear there.

He's looking to me to recommend a scanner.  Most of them now are straight
USB, many Bluetooth.  What I don't know is, when you are using a scanner
plugged into a USB port, where does the scanned data go?  I think I  could
probably figure this out if I had the scanner here and some of his bar
codes.  But maybe that would be unnecessary.

So when plugged into a USB port, where does the scanned data go?  Does the
app have to poll the port for data?

MTIA

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software