[AccessD] Converting Imperial measures

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri May 4 04:03:24 CDT 2018

Hi all

I realised that it takes a little more to do this properly.

So, I took my rounding functions - which are for decimals, of course, thus for Base 10 numbers - and modified it for Base 2 rounding.

The reason is, that you need to convert between decimals (like 0.125) and fractions (like 1/8).
For many values, there will be no exact conversion, thus you need high precision for reliable results. That can be achieved by using Decimal.

You'll find a detailed description here:

 "Round by the power of two"
https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/31859/Round-by-the-power-of-two.html

So much for the calculation.
What's missing, is to parse and format the imperial expressions.

Again, this is not as simple as one may think, indeed not if you wish to have generic functions that will cover just about any read-world scenario.
The functions can be found here:

"Convert and format imperial distance (feet and inches) with high precision"
https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/31931/Convert-and-format-imperial-distance-feet-and-inches-with-high-precision.html

All code - which is tested for both Access and Excel - can be found at GitHub:
https://github.com/GustavBrock/VBA.Round.git

Please let me now if you see anything that needs a correction.

/gustav