[AccessD] Access Chart Control - Access 2016 vs Access 365 subscription

Borge Hansen pcs.accessd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 00:07:46 CDT 2018

No, and AFIAK Access cannot be installed on a Mac.

Client is running a number of RDP on a green cloud WIndows Server 12 -
their SQL Db on a separate vm ..
About 6 months ago their Office was upgraded to Office 2016 Professional Pro
The File >> Account >> About Access reports:
Microsoft Access 2016 MSO(16.0.4738.1000) 32-bit
Product ID: 00339-10000-00000-AA844

On Access in both environments I have set the ActiveX Settings to "Enable
all controls without restrictions ....." and "Safe Mode" is ticked OFF - It
used to be "Prompt me...." and "Safe Mode" ON .
I made the change yesterday and it makes no difference - will probably
revert to original settings

I run Office 355 on a VMWare Fusion virtual machine Windows 8.1 on a
Macbook Pro with 16Gb RAM.
The SQL Db Express is running on a Windows 7 vm on the same Macbook.
The File >> Account >> About Access reports:
Microsoft Access 2016 MSO (16.0.10228.20080) 32-bit
Product ID: 00201-10951-41243-AA733

Under File >> Account >> What's New (see the most recently installed
updates) I read:
"What's New in Access
Your latest Office 365 features
Remodel your forms and reports with new charts
Create modern-looking charts in forms and report. Match fields to chart
dimensions and preview your changes instantly.
*Learn More  *    Close"

OBVIOUSLY the "new charts" feature is not implemented in Office 2016
Professional Pro... at least not in the version of the client...

The client needed some stats - and as I knew a visual presentation more
than anything else would make it clear what's going I set up a Form and
some local tables to display four line graphs.
Haven't worked with Access' ActiveX graph since Access2003 and I knew it
had poor reputation - but I thought a simple line graph... right?

Spent wasted hours into the night lasst night trying to figure why I could
not do an export / import of the above self contained form and local tables
into the client's production system...

Writing up this email made it clear to me what is happening here..
And I remember reading that the various Office versions especially between
the perpetual license and subscriber license have varying update
channels/paths/periods...
Now it really did bite me hard!

I am ranting - I know - but this is despicable!!

Clicking through on the Learn More reference above I get to the same
article that I linked to yesterday....
On the top it says the this article relates to:
Access for Office 365, Access 2019, Access 2016

The link again is:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-chart-on-a-form-or-report-1a463106-65d0-4dbb-9d66-4ecb737ea7f7

I fed back to Microsoft that I think it is imperative they include version
number in their "this article relates to ...."

I now have to find out from which version on will Microsoft Access 2016
have the new Active X control installed - as it appears it is from the
article!

Again, for anyone else on the list beware of mixing Office 2016 perpetual
and subscriber licenses...

I will provide more information as to version of Microsoft Access 2016 that
have the new chart controls...

/borge