[AccessD] Access for Office 365 - New Linked Table Manager

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 16:26:52 CDT 2018

Yep - stability - not a feature of MS software.

My approach for the business side of life

2 PC's, 1 for online business access running my general browser activities in a
VM
Yes - the system is open to malware intrusion, but hopefully the AV will deal
with OS targeted intrusion and the VM will stop web browser and email
transported malware getting out of the sandtrap.
Hopefully!

Second system for business work - does not (usually) talk to the web, including
MS - yes it runs the 2016 version that comes with 365

I have a full backup before I do the ( bimonthly) periodic update - and then
specially allow it to get updates to the anti-malware profiles etc about 2 weeks
after the update and do a scan

Then after the 2 week hiatus, I can hopefully resume doing business work that
needs stability on it-
 it gets and despatched files using USB storage media to pass data to, and from
the online system
 so neither system gets to be able to 'access' the other.

Safety is not a certainty but the stability helps
And as the 2 systems are the same models, in the event of a hardware failure can
just move the OS drive (or restored image) to the other system if needed,

Luckily I do not expect to be 'working' for anywhere near another 10 years
So will be able to get the 2019 (Ok maybe it's successor) and adopt a similar
approach to it's security fixes to cover any needed win-10 and office use for my
activities after business work ends.
And - maybe Android, or any OS that is not MS will be my personal use
environment.

I can also see major organisations returning to Linux for their corporate
environments  due to both the reduced cost ( OK maybe 20 systems staff instead
of 10systems support and team of 10 user call response help desk staff) and the
much reduced software and hardware costs.
As in you can run most user business environments on a £200 2GB RAM tablet
system where a windows one is looking to need 8GB RAM and at least 64 GB of SSD
storage costing £400 + licences of £100 a year for the unstable office
facilities.

JimB