[AccessD] LibreOffice Base

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 07:18:02 CDT 2019

Is anyone actively using Base? A couple of months ago, I converted my main
box to Linux Mint and installed LibreOffice. I decided to take a look at
LibreOffice Base, which I haven't done for years, and was shocked to see
how far it's come since I last looked at it. It's everything Access is, and
more.
1. It's free.
2. It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
3. It's fully integrated with the other LibreOffice apps.
4. It supports many back ends, including Access, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL
and others.
5. Its programming language is everything VBA is, with a few exras such as
classes.

I was astounded. I'm currently developing an app for organisations that
rely heavily on volunteers. The prototype was written in Access, but having
read the Base docs, I decided to curtail the Access version and complete
the project in Base, primarily because of the ability to deploy to multiple
platforms, but also because it's free, which matters significantly to
volunteer-based organisations. Also, when it's done, I plan to make my app
free as well.
I'll follow this message up as the project progresses.

--
Arthur