[AccessD] Upsizing woes

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Sep 6 19:17:47 CDT 2020

I' still using Office 2010 so that I can support clients using anything from 2010 onwards.

One old client is using a system I originally built in Access 2000 (using .mdb FE/BE)

The probllem is they are an oil palm company based in East New Britain province several
hours from the nearest airport.  That and COVID-19 travel restrictions mean everything is
being done remotely.

First step was to get their latest FE and upgrade it to an accdb that would work n both 32bit
and 64 bit.  Done successfully.

Next task to upsize to SQL Server 2014.  I got a copy of the old 77MB BE .mdb and coverted
it to accdb.  I then used the upsizing wizard  but the upsize failed on some tables.

It appears than some years ago, they had someone who liked to tinker who  deleted some
records after removing refertial integrity, leaving lots of orphans.  - they also did a few other
naughty things.

There were inappropriate dates (like "10/1/143") in the system which SQL Server wouldn't
accept.  There were also a few records with corrupt data in them.

I finally got it all cleaned up and imported and the clean .accdb sent back to the client to do
the upsize.

They are using Office 2013.
That's when we discovered that there is no upsize wizard in Access 2013 onward. It's been
"depreciated".   SIgh!

I'm urrently downloading the SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Access so that I can
check it out and write a process description for them.

(Sorry folks, I just had to vent to someone who would understand :) )