[AccessD] Automating Outlook from Access

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Aug 23 08:27:46 CDT 2021

John,

<<I don't understand the fascination with Polling.  >>

   It's not a fascination with polling.  Polling anything is inefficient and should be avoided.  As you know, it's far better to have a push notification, which of course is what you are getting with the e-mail.

   But getting those e-mails relies on a lot of additional layers and processes, where you could be going direct to the server. With e-mails, there's just a lot more opportunity for things to go wrong.   A simple example; your anti-virus updates and now your e-mails go to your junk folder.

   I'd be very surprised if your web site doesn't have a database associated with it.  Almost any e-com site does these days.  If that is the case, why would I want to rely on all the additional things associated with sending/receiving e-mails and scrape the data, when I could go direct to the source and get the data strictly defined?  That's my point.

   As far as push vs poll, the way e-com sites handle that now is that you subscribe to a "feed", which gives you a push notification when data is available.  Then you jump out and get it.  So you are not stuck with polling.   But if your site doesn't have that functionality, then you'd be stuck with a poll situation.   I don't think that would be the end of the world though and well worth it rather than relying on an e-mail process.   With that level of ordering, a poll every five or ten minutes is certainly not going to kill a server.  Plus you get the added benefit of knowing the web site is up and reachable.

   With all that said, since you are in control of things, the e-mail approach will be workable.   But it's not the approach I'd be taking if I had a choice getting order data from a web site.

Jim.