[AccessD] Access 2021 accde (64 bit) incompatible with Access 2013 64 bit

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:01:59 CST 2021

can you do a decompile / compile under the Office 2021 32 bit compiler?
Send the resulting file to those clients still on 2013.  I think the
"Bitness" of the compiler is exactly the problem.  A 64 bit compiler is
going to make fundamental changes to pointer lengths etc.
You might have to run a virtual machine where you install a 32 bit version
of Office 2021 so you can do the compile under the 32 bit compiler.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 6:35 PM Ryan W <wrwehler at gmail.com> wrote:

> We're upgrading to Office 2021, I made a small change to a form to fit
> better with the new UI (the runtime ribbon is a bit taller for some reason)
> in one of my forms which fixed the form issue for a user currently running
> Access 2021.
>
> However, users who are still on 2013 during this rollout are now getting
> 2467 coming out of a JIT class John Colby assisted with, and a ribbon
> button that simply calls DoCmd.OpenForm "MyFormName" now errors out with a
> vague message.
>
> Literally nothing in the DB changed aside from the one form, a decompile,
> compile then compact&repair and a recompile into an accde and distributed.
>
> I've since remedied the update mechanism I use to split 2013 and 2021
> accde's into different directories on the server for them to pull down and
> use... but was curious if anyone had any clues?  I'm not moving across
> bit-ness or any major changes, no function calls that are erroring out rely
> on conversion to 64 bit (PtrSafe etc).
>
> Shouldn't this front end still function under an older version granted I
> haven't changed anything that should be a show stopper?
>
> The form I changed isn't even the form that the errors on open reference
> either....
>
> The challenge in debugging now is that I do not have an active copy of
> Access 2013 64 bit that allows for development. Only runtime environments
> for 2013.

Colby Consulting