[AccessD] VBA Function with parameters

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Nov 7 16:50:17 CST 2021

Not just in the VBA world. :)

You find  then in C, Java, Javascript,  many BASIC dialects for example.
( but they didn't make it into PHP until v8.1)

I use them all the time to create meaningful equates

Boolean "bitwise" comparisons and bitwise manipulation are very useful tools to a
programmer.

"I am posting this thinking it might be helpful for someone else wondering
what is behind the "addition" of enum parameters set up as powers of two.
"

Please - don't think of "AND" as addition. In fact "OR" is closer to addition.

"AND" is true if, and only if the same bit is set in both values so

If cm And 4  is true if the "4 bit" is set.
That is why we use values that have a single bit set in binary

(16 = 0001 0000, 32 = 0010 0000 ...)

If cm = 7 (0111) then
cm AND 1 is true
cm AND 2 is true