[AccessD] 32->64 bit Conversion

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Nov 9 15:51:03 CST 2021

COMPATIBILITY with your clients  environment.

The default Office installation is now 64bit.  And nore that a few people/organsations want or
need 64bit Office for Excel with it's much larger spreadsheet range.

You can't have both 32bit and 64bit Office installed on the same machine.

Any new workstation or laptops will have 64 bit Office unless the purchaser is savvy enough
to override the default installation and has a valid reason to do so.

Like it or not, it's becoming a 64bit world more and more.  Even though there is still a place
for 32bit applications,  Office is not one of them.

Basically, if your old 32bit Access applicationis uses API calls and is going to be used on
new machines which you don't have control of,you *have* to upgrade it to be 64bit
compatible.

Similarly ,any new application you develop which is going to use API calls, has to be
developed as 64bit (but with backward 32bit capability)

I've had to go  through this with numerous clients over the last few years.