[AccessD] 32->64 bit Conversion

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 16:08:30 CST 2021

Hmmm!

Yes - my previous post was mostly about Excel - but much of the internals for
other than data management will be similarly constrained.
Seems to me that Access has had less attention than Excel, and the early design
limitations in Excel are still to be appropriately addressed.

My view of the situation is it may well be due to staff turnover
As in Microsoft is not a start-up mode company, but a corporate organisation
managed in governmental mode.
Not so much an attitude of - hmmm that app looks Ok, but we can improve it
More - hmmmm that looks as if it may be competition - lets acquire and knacker
it.

So - corporate monolithic mode -
 older staff tend to be paid more than the newbies - so they are 'Redeployed'
outside of the organisation to reduce costs, and create diskspace for the new
intake

I look at Access - and see a small business version of Oracle
Data management, security of access, security oof data  management of data
changes  and forms as an interface for the user interaction
I look at Excel and ask  - how do I manage user data entry, where is the
recording of data entry and changes  where is the security of data  where is the
access security
- Ah!
Data access management - use SQL to get data from Access
Data entry Forms from Access  to get valid data from the users
Use feeder processes (queueing ?) to pass the data into a data store
Data security and recovery - Access again - as in a log of changes and who made
them and when

It may also be that 'teams' are assembled (hired) for projects, and let
go/redeployed at the end of a project
Also - seems to me  from some of the changes that VV&T teams have to go back to
school at the end of the summer break

The new staff intake do not have in-depth experience in the existing apps, or
experience of the glitches that the oldsters learnt to avoid.
They may well never had any interaction with Access -  Power Point, MsWord and
Publisher, OK - but Access ?

Added to that problem is an apparent need for the Project leaders to show that
they are innovative,
and don't need to keep the old processes, let alone the GUI

Indeed, what gets 'presented' to the budget allocators is the GUI, not the
underlying code.

Sort of like the fashion show -
who gets to see that the model was sewn into the clothes  -

As long as they look great for the duration of the show

It doesn't matter that they will never be put on again
 - so who needs the basics such as fasteners to be working.

JimB