[AccessD] DAO Recordset question asked, answered, and misplaced.

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Nov 11 15:54:44 CST 2021

We went through this last month.  As I said they, you are confusing a Recordset with
QueryDef.

A recordset is  a collection of data rows and columns.  Access generally doesn't know about
what SQL,if any , created the data and it certainly doesn't have an SQL property

There are only two situations where you may be able to retrieve SQL used to create the
recordset.

Situation #1
If a Recordset was created from a QueryDef using the OpenRecordSet method of the
querydef.

 In that case, you can do something like

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Set rs = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryAllMailboxes").OpenRecordset
Set qdf = rs.CopyQueryDef
Debug.Print qdf.SQL

But that's the only situation where CopyQueryDef  works. If you try to use CopyQueryDef for
a recordset created in any other way, you will just get an error.

SItuation #2:
if a recordset was created using an SQL string, the recordst's Name property contains the
first 256 characters of that string.

In any ofther situation, you are SOL.