[AccessD] A diff program for Access?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Nov 12 08:35:26 CST 2021

Hi Arthur

There is:

http://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/DatabaseCompare.html

/gustav

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: AccessD <accessd-bounces+gustav=cactus.dk at databaseadvisors.com> På vegne af Arthur Fuller
Sendt: 12. november 2021 15:27
Til: Access Developers discussion and problem solving <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Emne: [AccessD] A diff program for Access?

I don't suppose there exists such a thing, but who knows, there may be. I want to determine the differences down to every level between App A and App B. Is there a tool that can do that, or am I forced to walk hand by hand through  hundreds of modules, forms, queries and reports.
This app has grown gargantuan over the years, and this is a very bad thing.

Perhaps the first thing I need to do is identify all the "dead code" -- old subs and functions never called in the current implementation

Next, I want to employ a technique I learned from Jim Dettman: forget the behemoth app model and instead create Microservices that do one thing, such as deliver a report. On occasion, this is not trivial: Access seduces you into thinking that reference to some open form are cool. I most emphatically disagree. If a Report needs parameters, then pass them, or alternatively refer to the return values of Static Functions.
I think that I may be going against the stream here. So be it. I like to use the Access Wizards to create the basic code, but immeiately after that I separate the generated code for the button from the button itself, creating a new sub or function and changing the btton code to cal that Sub or Function. as a result, al the form/button-clicks are reduced to one line of code, not dependent upon the form whose buutton invokes a local event.
NOT my way of coding. I choose to ship everything possible away frrom the form and refereences to its avlaue, and eventually all the code away from the form into a module that I can call from anywhere, given expected parameters.

--
Arthur