[AccessD] A diff program for Access?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Nov 12 09:35:27 CST 2021

https://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/DatabaseCompare.html

Jim.

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessD On Behalf Of Arthur Fuller
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 9:27 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Subject: [AccessD] A diff program for Access?

I don't suppose there exists such a thing, but who knows, there may be. I
want to determine the differences down to every level between App A and App
B. Is there a tool that can do that, or am I forced to walk hand by hand
through  hundreds of modules, forms, queries and reports.
This app has grown gargantuan over the years, and this is a very bad thing.

Perhaps the first thing I need to do is identify all the "dead code" -- old
subs and functions never called in the current implementation

Next, I want to employ a technique I learned from Jim Dettman: forget the
behemoth app model and instead create Microservices that do one thing, such
as deliver a report. On occasion, this is not trivial: Access seduces you
into thinking that reference to some open form are cool. I most
emphatically disagree. If a Report needs parameters, then pass them, or
alternatively refer to the return values of Static Functions.
I think that I may be going against the stream here. So be it. I like to
use the Access Wizards to create the basic code, but immeiately after that
I separate the generated code for the button from the button itself,
creating a new sub or function and changing the btton code to cal that Sub
or Function. as a result, al the form/button-clicks are reduced to one line
of code, not dependent upon the form whose buutton invokes a local event.
NOT my way of coding. I choose to ship everything possible away frrom the
form and refereences to its avlaue, and eventually all the code away from
the form into a module that I can call from anywhere, given expected
parameters.

--
Arthur