[AccessD] VPN

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 11:13:10 CST 2021

Remember -
what -
That the security of any tech device is annoyingly difficult to maintain

First need will be encryption from within the communicating devices so that all
text  is encrypted to at least 512 bit level
 (MS has reported that it is moving from 256 bit encryption as that is now too
easily and swiftly broken.)

Also consider that there are many government associated organisations that will
have 'backdoor's) available into a variety of components and facilities between
the message conception, and it's complete erasure from the receiving device by
the intended recipient.

Remember the cookies settings where you said NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Well that certainly raises a flag from the site being told NO that you are
secretive and want to hide your activities.
And surely you really didn't believe they would not install monitoring cookies.

Also - OK VPN's are supposed to be secure
however who is going to assure you that their systems have not been back-doored,

or even front-door'd using court orders.

All that is needed is a small module of code monitoring  what outgoing VPN was
assigned for use from which IP.

Also consider - any connection will almost certainly expose your IP unless you
are using relaying systems.
and the x on the top right corner of a window pane
consider what happens if you use that on a MsWord session or an Outlook session
where you have been editing something
Does the session just disappear - OK EDGE may do that, but note the messages
when you restart the app !
So - you believe that the person managing a web site ( may not be the owner, or
the admin they authorised)
cannot easily record details about you, and your system when you start to
respond to the we need your authority to run cookies, or record who initiated
the session, and from where ( as in your ISP ).

Now, considering your phone that has your emails delivered to it, and from where
you contact your devices at home,  when in the car, in the office, on public
transport.
Yup - all those IP's are collectable, as well as the model and serial  and
presumably the access to the hub/modem/WiFi linking units.

So - VPN  may make it a bit difficult for the recipient to identify you, and
where you are
but anyone with serious interest can probably identify you given a week or so
for their intrusion to get at a device used, and then work back through the
message store and forward logging chains

Just take a look at the header details on this email as delivered to you!

Then consider how secure a VPN makes your communications
and are you sure the VPN  supplier is not actually a government run facility
(As users of a "highly secure" communications facility recently found  - the
encryption facility supplied for installation on their systems had a basic
backdoor access facility built into it by what appears to have been a consortium
of government agencies)

JimB