[AccessD] 32->64 bit conversion

Paul Wolstenholme Paul.W at industrialcontrol.co.nz
Thu Oct 28 15:58:31 CDT 2021

I have wondered about how conditional compilation works with Access.
I understand Access likes to pre-compile its source and save it in the
database file (the front end in a FE-BE system).
The database file can be distributed and even shared in a multi-user
environment.
So perhaps the computer that was used for compilation is not necessarily
the computer that executes the compiled code.
If the source is written for conditional compilation (conditional according
to how Access was installed on the computer) how does Access know when
recompilation is required?

One could avoid the issue by always decompiling the Access database before
another computer uses it and never sharing an Access database except as a
back end.
But Access wasn't designed with that limitation.

Should conditional compilation only be used in Access with some prescribed
caveats?

Paul Wolstenholme