[AccessD] On resumes and cover letters

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 23 12:56:04 CDT 2022

Maybe not addressing your stated wants.

But I was declared "redundant" a couple of decades ago.

I found ( when chatting to someone who had given me a lead to a job, that my CV was circular filtered at the HR stage without it getting to the IT department staff.
NO degree, and not currently in employment!

Seems that to get past HR  needs to have the requisite ticks, even if the IT department is desperately looking for experienced staff "Today"

So - maybe adopt the approach of  being a "temp" or contract worker, where the IT department will have got past the stage of considering a regular employee hire, and subcontracted the employment outside of the HR involvement.

So - the benefits you offer -

No pension, or holiday, or sickness cover considerations.
No delay in starting the work
No 8 hours, 5 days a week limit
Not in establishment so no overtime authorisation considerations.

No (well, minimal) training needs to create/code the processes.
You will need to read and understand the corporate  working requirements, and the IT working practices.

Consider that the IT line management will probably have known of the "need" and been trying to fill the gap in their staffing skills for at least 3 months.

So - you can do the job  starting productively as soon as they can get you through any required introduction instruction.

Once in place  you can consider if you can offer mentoring, or - an entirely different and stressful approach - "training".

You will need to consider that you have NO authority in the workplace or the work processes

Also be aware of the probable wish for you to have PI insurance.
But consider that should only be for the period during which you are being paid an appropriate minimum amount each month
If there is a requirement to provide 5, or 10 years Professional indemnity - that should create a starting point of 1,000 profit needed to cover each year of the required indemnity
Insurance cover is usually for the period of the cover - not for the period of use of a "deliverable"

Also - final checks -  properly addressed, and to the correct person  structure, syntack, flow, punchuation, and spelling.