[AccessD] Question about the TableDef.Fields collection

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:34:32 CDT 2022

And you can always use an index to avoid duplicate input values on the
Country field.

Susan H.

Autonumbers serve another purpose, speeding up joins.  Joining strings
between tables requires a visit to a library where the string is scanned and
compared to the other field byte by byte.  A long integer OTOH used a simple
equal operator on a 32 bit number.  One instruction vs potentially hundreds.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 9:46 AM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Like most Access programmers, I use AutoNumber fields as Primary Keys
> whenever it makes sense. However, it doesn't always make sense, and
> this is particularly so when the table of interest contains a
> relatively small number of rows. The reason I say this is because
> using an AutoNumber as the PK demands additional logic, to prevent
> otherwise equal rows from being added. For example, in a table of
> Countries, using an AutoNumber as the PK does not prevent the addition
> of country names that would duplicate an existing row. You could add
> Israel a dozen times, with each row having an AutoNumber. That said, I
> can think of no reason to have an AutoNumber in a table unless it is the
PK.

> But in tables containing no AutoNumber field, is there a Field
> attribute that identifies the PK of the table of interest?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Arthur

Colby Consulting