[AccessD] LatestBrightIdea4

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:52:50 CST 2022

That would work, however it feels like it adds complexity.  If I simply
have directories where text files are stored for each chapter, then as I
add modules or forms etc, I simply export objects to text into the correct
chapter directory.  The buttons essentially just imports anything in that
directory.  I am trying to write a book where we start simple and work up
to complex.  Chapter one might just be a module and a class.  Chapter two
might use both of those objects, or not.  It might just have a brand new
form and class, with no module etc,

In any event if I come back in a week and edit an existing class in a
chapter directory, the next time the user presses the button for the
chapter, (s)he gets whatever (s)he gets.  All updated and nice.

I have a blog post and other writings which will form the basis for the
chapters.  Over time the chapters can get a tad complex and expecting the
user to type in all the code, and get it working, can get ...
overwhelming.

There are cases where the entire point is to step through the code and
watch where control is passed when events fire, watch what order events
occur etc.  I learned a ton doing exactly that, and the results aren't
always what one might expect.

The end result will probably be an actual working framework, with a couple
of demo forms and dozens of classes and a handful of modules.  All of which
actually work together as a framework and could be used in a new project.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 5:43 PM Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
wrote:

> Sounds to me like the initial DB should have a module with one function
> per chapter.
>
> Each function would consist of DDL statements to build tables and
> CreateForm etc for
> everything else.
>

> On 1 Feb 2022 at 15:40, John Colby wrote:
>
> > I want to be able to publish databases for chapters for a book so that
> > when I show how to do some class thing, the reader can just click a
> > button and load all the stuff required to see what I am doing.  A bare
> > db file with a switchboard form.  Click the button to build out a
> > database for chapter 1. Etc.

Colby Consulting