[AccessD] Zig: A Programming Language

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 11:01:18 CST 2022

I am long in the tooth and only herald of this language this morning. I'm
reading its docs as I write this, and was struck by thisL

   1. *Pragmatic*: At the end of the day, all that really matters is
   whether the language helped you do what you were trying to do better than
   any other language.
   2. *Optimal*: The most natural way to write a program should result in
   top-of-the-line runtime performance, equivalent to or better than C. In
   places where performance is king, the optimal code should be clearly
   expressible.
   3. *Safe*: Optimality may be sitting in the driver's seat, but safety is
   sitting in the passenger's seat, wearing its seatbelt, and asking nicely
   for the other passengers to do the same.
   4. *Readable*: Zig prioritizes reading code over writing it. Avoid
   complicated syntax. Generally there should be a canonical way to do
   everything.

Has anyone any experience with Zig? I'm up for taking it for a walk.

--
Arthur