[AccessD] Reference book

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 20:11:44 CST 2022

Arthur, No, no offense.  As others have expressed, without inheritance
probably most vba devs have written off the most useful tool in the vba
toolbox.

I find it amusing that folks say "if I can't use inheritance then I won't
use classes" and yet they happily use forms, 'code behind forms' (a class
BTW),  combos, text boxes, recordsets etc.  All those things are classes
which cannot be inherited from.

What they are truly doing is abandoning OOP in their own code when it is
right there easily available.  I create objects of my own.  I create
instances of these objects, I sink events in my objects, I raise events in
my object.  None of that stuff requires inheritance, and yet it takes my
programming to a level that just is not possible without using VBA classes.

Their loss, not mine.

Shamil was perhaps the best VBA programmer I ever ran into.  He taught me
classes and he struggled mightily to use them and only gave up because of
unresolved (at the time) bugs in the compiler.  The bugs got fixed but by
that time he had moved on completely out of VBA.

I learned what he understood and was striving for, and I never looked back.

I repeat, I can do things in VBA that others can only dream of - if they
want to use vba anyway.

Colby Consulting