[AccessD] Back from SQL Server

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:10:53 CST 2022

I also think converting back to Access from an up and functioning SQL
Server db is probably a very bad idea.  SQL Server express is free, easy
and MUCH more powerful than an ACCDB.  Things to think about...

1) The SQL Server db has zero locking issues.  Any significant level of
multi-user, even on a split fe/be with the be on a server will experience
locking issues (memo fields in particular) and possibly even corruptions.
NONE of that with SQL Server.
2) SQL Server can be accessed across the internet by an Access FE with zero
corruption issues.  An ACCDB is almost guaranteed to corrupt under those
circumstances.
3) SQL Server can have a much larger quantity of data, more records etc.
4) SQL Server is much faster at assembling data to present in forms and
reports.  Further it can be configured to do much if not all of such stuff
server side.  MUCH faster.
5) Converting from Access to SQL Server is always painful to some degree.
You will endure the same pain going backwards to ACCDB.

I suggest thinking long and hard about going backwards.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 10:46 PM <accesspro at cox.net> wrote:

> Hello to the list,
>
> A long time ago I did a pretty complex Access app.
> The client went on later to have someone hook it up to SQL Server.
> They now are scaling their biz back and wish to just use Access.
> I bet there is a way to "import" the tables back into Access, but I don't
> know how.
> Not too concerned about any views yet.
>
> TIA
> Bob Heygood