[AccessD] A sad tale of wifi hotspot interference

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Oct 1 01:59:01 CDT 2022

I use my 4GLTE phone's hotspot for my internet connectivity almost exclusively.
There's no throttling here - it's PAYG and when you run out, you have no internet until you
top up.   Generally I buy 10GB with a 30 day expiry from my Telco ( for around USD16)
and top up roughly every two weeks.   (Just recently, they've been offering 100GB for 30
days at the same price - not sure how long that offer will last).

That said:

I removed Dropbox a long time ago for the same reason as you . I do still have Google
Drive available but only load it while I actually need it and have "synching" paused unless I
want to synch.  I don't routinely store things in The Cloud (aka SECTIHNCO - Someone
Else's Computers That I Have No Control Over).  I backup my data locally to large capacity
USB devices. Then I've got it even when the internet is unavailable.

For similar reasons, I don't use GMAIL online.

I have POP3SMTP accounts in several domains  and three GMail accounts that I also
access as POP3/SMTP. I use Pegasus Mail as my mail client.  So I  connect to the various
mail servers, download all of the mail to my computer  and work with it off line.Once I
finished composing emails locally, I just hit "Send".

Same reason I use MS Office Pro Plus Retail, not Office 365.

--
Stuart