[AccessD] A sad tale of wifi hotspot interference

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 05:59:42 CDT 2022

Wow, just wow!!!  Things are never as simple as we expect.  Much more
startup data usage.  Tracked down a TON MORE, which are startup tasks for
everything that runs.  Pretty much every app that wants to update itself
sets a startup task.  Many of which run every day, every login, or even
whenever the computer is idle.  Google, Firefox, Edge, VS CODE, DropBox,
OneDrive, Office etc etc ad nauseum.  All of these going out to check if
they have any updates.  These are scheduled tasks, the task created by the
installer (or Windows if it is a windows app).  It's no damned wonder there
is a 10 minute burst of activity on my WAN connection every time I log in.
Which is my hotspot when I'm on the road.

This activity is (at least when throttled?) about 600kbit/second, which
translates to about 4.5 mbyte / minute.  Which goes on for a loooong time.

Office for example checks every time I log on.  On a day to day basis I may
not even use Office.  but hey, it is checking.  I NEVER use Edge.  But hey,
it is (was) checking.  I NEVER use OneDrive, but hey, it WAS checking.  In
truth, over a wired internet I never cared.  But over my hotspot, which is
my norm now, I very much care.  We shall see how much of a dent I have made
in my hotspot usage.  As I mentioned previously, I was hitting my 15 gb cap
midway through my billing month.  All so Google etc could make sure it had
the latest updates 10 times a day.

Colby Consulting