[AccessD] Call a function in an AccDb from outside it?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Oct 14 11:36:59 CDT 2022

 Arthur,

   Along the lines of what Susan is suggesting, what is this utility about
exactly (sorry if I've missed it)?

   Most utilities are written as an Access Add-in, at which point you have
access to everything in the DB to which it has been added, along with your
utility DB.   You can also simply have the user add a reference to their DB
as well, then call some "starter" procedure to kick-off whatever your
utility does.   Most of the utilities out there (Find and Replace, Access
Wizards, etc) are written like this.   Some are written with Access, while
others are written as a COM add-in with something like C#/.Net.

   You also could have them execute your utility, which could then open the
target DB and manipulate it as a database, or you can open a 2nd instance of
Access, open the target DB in that instance, and manipulate it through
automation.

   There are pros/cons to each of the approaches.

Jim.