[AccessD] ODBC instead of DAO?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:56:19 CDT 2022

Reading the docs at Microsoft Learn, I came across a notice that DAO is now
considered obsolete, and the suggestion that for new apps, we should use
ODBC classes instead.
The page begins with this paragraph:

DAO is used with Access databases and is supported through Office 2013. DAO
3.6 is the final version, and it is considered obsolete.

Further down the page is this notice:

Programs that use DAO databases will have at least a CDaoDatabase object
and a CDaoRecordset object.

 Note

The Visual C++ environment and wizards no longer support DAO (although the
DAO classes are included and you can still use them). Microsoft recommends
that you use ODBC for new MFC projects. You should only use DAO in
maintaining existing applications.
The note is directed at C++ programmers, but does it apply across the board?

Does it also mean that ADO is obsolete as well?

Have any of you switched from DAO|ADO to the ODBC classes? If so, how
painful is it? Will the ODBC classes do everything that DAO and ADO can do?

--
Arthur