[AccessD] Is it over for desktop apps?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Sep 11 16:27:55 CDT 2022

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Do you develop apps for use on the cloud? If so, approximately what
> percentage of your apps live there?

Depends on what you mean by "on the cloud".
I develop websites, which are "on the cloud".
I develop applications which access data on a corporate server over a VPN.

> 2. Assuming that the client of interest has an internet connection, is
> there any reason to develop your apps *not *for the cloud?

How about:
Slow,unrelable, expensive internet connectivitiy where it is available
Lack of any internet connectivity in many locations
Security

> 3. Are there shortcomings (specifically with Office in mind) to
> cloud-based-apps that desktops apps do not suffer? I mention Office because
> many if not most of the apps I've written in the past couple of decades
> have consisted of pieces written in Access, Word and Excel; a few of these
> are quite elaborate, involving exports to Excel first, then creating tables
> within Word documents, formatted according to standards mandated by various
> provincial governments, and in Canada that may also involve translation
> from English to French.

See my previous points.
I advise all of my clients to install Retail Office and avoid Office 365.

> Should I be thinking exclusively in terms of the cloud? Is it essentially
> over for local servers (one per office, approximately)? If so, does that
> mean that the market for local servers is over? What advantage is to be
> gained, if any, by having a local server, as opposed to running it all on
> the cloud?
No and No.
See my previous points.

> And now we return to the classic question, albeit with a cloudy twist.
> Should the FE reside in the cloud, as well as the BE?
No. See my previous points.