[AccessD] Is it over for desktop apps?

Paul Wolstenholme Paul.W at industrialcontrol.co.nz
Mon Sep 12 21:07:51 CDT 2022

Expanding on John's comment...

I learnt a lot about using Access with SQL Server from this site:
https://accessexperts.com/starthere-sqlserver-access/

..but it was David Emerson who taught me to take that further and do ADODB
forms to speed things up when using a remote server.
In my case the remote server was at the other end of a VPN link rather than
on the public cloud, so not so different.
Linked tables (ODBC) expose whole tables to Access and it can be tricky to
discourage Access from grabbing every record in the table and filtering
what it needs locally.  That can be a problem when using a remote server as
tables grow in size - forms become slower and slower to open (too many
minutes).
With ADODB forms you have Access calling a SQL Server stored procedure and
passing parameters.  In that way SQL Server does the filtering (right where
the data is) and passes back only the required data records.  That is where
the serious speed improvements are gained!  Complicated filtering becomes
achievable without a speed penalty.

Paul Wolstenholme