[AccessD] Last Business Day of the Month

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 19:36:07 CDT 2023

Hey, Paul...

God, don't get me started, Sonny and Cher were so many decades ago 😀. Your
suggestion would appear to cover just about everything that this might
require. Here in Canada, we have some holidays that apply only to the city,
some to the province, and a few to the entire nation. Call it chaos, which
I frequently have, but it's also reality, and reality should always win
over opinion.

However, then we come upon the platypus... a mammal with a duck's beak that
lays eggs? Some early scientists were so baffled they deemed it a fraud.
Vaguely like "an honest politician". Shirley, you jest!

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 8:12 PM Paul Hartland via AccessD <
accessd at databaseadvisors.com> wrote:

> One of the things I now do when creating a bit of software for a company is
> create a date table, in that I currently specify a start year and last
> business day and it will create an overkill (even if I do say so myself)
> date table holding all sorts of info such as bank holidays etc this way if
> a company has additional holidays etc these can be input at a later date
> and catered for etc, then I just access this table for business days etc.
>
> Paul
>
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023, 20:21 Arthur Fuller, <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I already know the answer to my question, but thought to ask it
> > anyway. Here in North America the last business day of the month is
> > typically defined as the last Friday of the month in question. How
> > universal is that? Even right here at home, there's a place across the
> > street called The Wine Rack, which is open 465 days a year, and 366 every
> > four years. In that context, LBDOM() would be equivalent to LDOM(), since
> > every day is a business day.
> > . I tMy proposed function would require two parameters, a date,
> defaulting
> > to today, and an int describing the offset from LDOM -- here in Canada,
> my
> > Old Age payments arrive on the third last business day of the month, so
> I'd
> > pass 3 as the second parameter.
> >
> > I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the best method of allowing the
> > user of said function to specify the local rules. It could be a
> constant; I
> > hesitate ever to monkey with the registry. I certainly don't want to have
> > to pass this as another parameter. But as I stated above, even the wine
> > store across the street has different rules than most of us. Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Arthur
> > --