[AccessD] OT - Software to Limit user Access on Computer

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:52:11 CST 2023

The key was global for the whole company.  One of the marketing policies
was that they paid a flat price for the system, not by the seat. Made it
easy to buy. Simplified my life as well.

The key consisted of a five digit internal serial number, and external
serial number -  each digit of which was converted to a letter (A-Z) -  an
expiration date where the day month and year were each converted to
letters and a date of last update which was encoded the same way.  Then the
letters were scrambled and a check sum digit calculated where I added
together all of the ACScii values of the encoded internal and external
serial numbers, and the expiration and last update date.  Finally I
scrambled the letters.

This was probably overkill but it was fun to do and I devised it at the
beginning of the century when piracy was rampant - especially in China.
China was a huge potential market for a small manufacturing system, and I
didn't want to sell just one there. :o)

So when I wanted to extend the user's expiration date, I generated a key
with a new date and sent it to them.

The 100 part restriction was hard-coded into the mde so when they wanted to
upgrade I had to send them a new mde.

So could you provide keys to your users with an expiration date and have
everyone using the same front end but log in with their unique key?