[AccessD] Fwd: [dba-Tech] Using Old Ofice versions?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sun Feb 19 12:29:52 CST 2023

Rocky,

<< So, if I begin using Access 2021, will I have a problem with users using
earlier versions of Access ->>

  Yes.  Biggest issue would be references.  The critical references will
auto update to newer versions, but they will not downgrade to older ones.

  Your 2021 won't run with at least that change being made.   This is
nothing new BTW.   Going backwards has always been problematic.

<< Does anyone know how far back compatibility would go - to what version of
Access, that is - if I compiled my app with 2021.>>

 Outside of the references, 2013 would be about it.    From 2016 on, the
code base is more or less the same.    The main issue is that you use
something that is only in a newer version, and it doesn't exist in an older
one.   Then your app may break in ways you don't expect.     There are other
things as well, such as the use of BIGINT, which actually modifies the
database level and cuts you off from older versions (you do get a warning).

 Save yourself some headaches; do what you have been doing; stick with
development in 2010 and bring it forward.

Jim.