[AccessD] Brain Fart regarding arrays

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:31:55 CST 2023

My son loves the stories of the good old (archaic) days.

I joined the USN straight out of high school in 1972 at 17 YO.  I was sent
to school to learn to fix the navy's "mainframes".

Univac 642 a/b <https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/X184.83>

That was a mighty machine.  A half a million dollars, 11K transistors
(distinct transistors in little metal cans), it weighed over a ton and
consumed 2.5 KW.  I learned every gate in the entire machine and could
troubleshoot it with an o'scope and schematics.  Never learned to program
it though.  It was programmed in assembly because of the limited 32K word
magnetic core memory.

Two of these machines ran the entire intelligence center on the aircraft
carrier which was where I worked.

I was actually trained on 3 different "mainframes", a tape machine, an IBM
disk, the card reader, a rotating drum printer, a pen plotter and
everything else required to keep the intelligence center humming along.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 5:06 PM John Bartow <jbartow at winhaven.net> wrote:

> IBM 360/40 - the first computer system I learned.
>
> John B

Colby Consulting