[AccessD] Link to AdventureWorks Database

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 15:46:15 CST 2023

<< Be aware that the Access's linked table manager is hopeless when it comes
to linking to SQL Server views (this does not apply if linking only to
tables).  You will be asked which fields uniquely identify records and it
will (secretively) create an index in Access based on that.  When you use
the linked table manager again to refresh the links you do not get asked,
the index is destroyed and the linked table becomes read-only.  I don't
know whether this has been improved since Access 2010>>

 The linked table manager did get an overhaul, but I believe it still does
not remember the indexes on linked views.

 Dale Fye's linked table manager does, and it works with older versions of
Access:

http://dev-soln.com/linked-table-manager/

 And it does views as well as PT queries.

 Here's a presentation of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7irB89Usls

Jim.