[AccessD] Uninstalling Office Update

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Jan 13 06:18:51 CST 2023

 The other way to handle this is to not be on the "bleeding edge" as they say.

 Office is broken up into channels, which determines when you get updates.  The most stable is the semi-annual one (here's a list of the others: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-update-channels).   You don't get updates as often (only 2x a year), but you only get updates after a whole lot of other people have tried them out.  By the time they get to you, most of the bugs are well worked out, or workarounds known, which you can plan for.   You can look in Access on the file menu, account, about, and it will tell you which channel you are on.

 The command to switch channels is:

   CD C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\clicktorun
   OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel="SemiAnnual"

   And you do that in an Administrator command window.

   As an aside, it seems something was done with ODBC in the Dec 6th build.   Not sure if it was something the Windows team did or what, but there have been sporadic reports of problems with ODBC.   I have one client where an ETL process that typically ran in 30 minutes (and always finished under an hour), jumped to 7-10 hours.    There's also an issue with the older SQL driver and Windows 11, which many are still using.

   I would suggest changing to the semi-annual channel and see of the problem goes away.   If it does, I'd also suggest staying there for anything that is a production system.

Jim.