[AccessD] Interleaving two reports

Borge Hansen pcs.accessd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:16:10 CST 2023

This is how I would approach it:
Main report with two sup reports and grouping by ID
Turn off headers and footers in the access report, just concentrate on the
data and the interleaving.
Place header and footer information in a Word Template document.
(Any other “header” info could be placed as group header)
Add new page code after each sub report.
Output the access report to RTF document.
Insert RTF document into Word Template document and save as .docx
Perform any post processing in .docx document
Save final product as PDF document.

/Borge

PS depending on circumstances consider creating VBA Word macro for any post
processing that is repeatable.
For example we have one app where the client is doing a lot of post
processing in Word after having output the Access report to RTF. As we
can’t add rich text in a paragraph and retain the rich text in a RTF
output, the client is using our own markup code for bold, underline and
italics during text input in the Access app. Before output to RTF we check
that the home spun markup codes contain both the start end end code (for
example /b and /nb as start and finish for bold text within a paragraph).
Applying a number of Word VBA macros we clean up the whole document to
present with added formatting in final Word / PDF output.
(We have a separate Word document - holding all VBA macros that the Acess
app RTF report outputs are using - that we attach to the Word docx prior to
post processing and detach afterwards.)