[AccessD] Checking for Optional Parameters

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 06:03:14 CST 2023

Arthur,

 I do not.

 I like running down the list of arguments in order as I type and follow the
intelligence.   If I don't like the order for some reason, I do a Find &
Replace and change it.

 I typically do not use a lot of optional parameters either. I find that if
I'm using a procedure so many ways that it requires more than a few optional
parameters, then I probably need another procedure.   I find having a lot of
optional arguments makes a procedure more complex to write and understand,
and more difficult to test and debug.

 It's the same concept as normalization with records in a RDBMs.  If the
records in a table are different "shapes" (you leave some fields null in
some records because they don't apply at all rather simply not knowing the
value), then you need to breakout some of the records into another table.
Likewise with a procedure, if you are trying to do twenty different things
with it, then you need to ask yourself if you shouldn't have twenty
different procedures.

  And of course, I'm talking about VBA here, which doesn't allow overloading
of procedures.

Jim.