[AccessD] MySQL / VBA Now() format

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 25 23:13:27 CST 2023

How Access displays a timestamp field, how Access stores it internally, how
MySQL displays it by default, how MySQL stores it and how ODBC  treats it
are all entirely different things.

You are correct that how Access DISPLAYS a timestamp field by default
uses your regional settings, but you can override that by setting the format in
the local table definition, the QBE grid or the control on a form or report that
displays the timestamp..

Access actually stores a DATETIME (including ODBC returned
TIMESTAMPs as a 4 byte Double (whole number represents date and
decimal part represents time as a fractional of a day).

MySQL stores a TIMESTAMP as a four byte number (plus 1-3 additional
bytes for v 5.6.4 and above if fractional seconds are stored).  I think that the
4 bytes use the same structure as a WIndows FileTime structure (but I'm not
sure about that).  Note that TIMESTAMPs are actually stored as UTC and
are converted to/from local time when accessed.

ODBC passes DateTimes/TimeStamps in a standard way regardless of how
the source or destination store or display them and does all necessary
conversions internally.

Bottom line:  How Access displays a Date/Time is irrelevant to working with
datetime or timestamp data in an ODBC linked table.

There is something else going on here if Now() and
Format$(Now(),"dddd-mm-yy hh:nn:ss") are not updating your timestamp.