[AccessD] Access ADP file format

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Mar 24 06:54:06 CDT 2023

<<
I know that at least one or two of you MVP types have insider access to
these discussions. Care to shed some light on this particular decision?

 Those discussions, if they occurred, would be under NDA.

 But I can tell you that those types of marketing discussions are far beyond
the purview of MVP's, and probably even many at Microsoft.

<< I recall asking another question similar to this, about why Access limits
the number of relationship diagrams to 1.>>

  I submitted a feature request a while back to be able to save more then
one RI diagram (I think others did as well), but it never went anywhere.

<< The BE I'm working on currently has a half-dozen
BEs, each corresponding to a group of tables within the overall domain.>>

  So be careful with this.  While it's entirely workable for the most part,
each BE you are opening takes additional overhead and resources.   I can't
remember off-hand anyone recently having issues, and you should be fine with
the half dozen or so, but I would not go much beyond that just to be safe.

<< I digress. Why did the Access team abandon the ADP file format?>>

  My own personal opinion:   On the marketing front, Access has never been
marketed as a development tool and was straying into Visual Studio waters.
On the technical side (again at a guess), since it was a native interface
into SQL, it would tightly couple each Access version to specific versions
of SQL server, and there would be a constant need to match SQL server with
each new version.

Jim.