[AccessD] Property Value is too large

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun May 14 17:26:49 CDT 2023

First time I've run across this in 30 years. I've been developing contantly in  Access since
1993 and never seen it before.

When trying to add another field to a table, I got the message "Property Value is too Large"
and couldn''t save the change. In fact I couldn't even save the table if I deleted a field in it - I
got the same error

This particular , table (which I did not design - but a couple of people here might recognise)
had 178 fields!   Many of the fields had "Lookup" Comboxes specified containing long SQL
select statements. Also a load of long "Descriptions".

It turns out that there is a limit to the size of a table definition that Acceess can store (2KB ? )
and  this is not just for the table structure , it  includes the Lookup and Description data for
each field and the Index definitions. ( there are 20 indexes specified for this table, even just
trying to delete one and saving the table gave the same message).

After I cleaned a lot of the garbage out (primarily Lookup comboxes),  I was able to add the
field.

Yet another reason why I dislike specifying anything other than the default for field display in
the table design - IMNSHO, that's NOT where user interfaces should be specified!!!