[AccessD] Property Value is too large

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon May 15 14:00:14 CDT 2023

 It would not be an easy thing to do because of the architecture of JET.

 Because of the size of pointers within the page, it would require substantial changes.  I don't remember all the in's and outs of it, but doubling from 2048 to 4096 was only doable because nothing really changed. A page size of 4096 was still within the range of things like field offsets.  There's also page addressing and locking that would tie into it I would think. Those things are also why we are limited on the overall size of the database.

 JET was never meant to be a sophisticated RDBMS, so it's lacking things like page management (knowing which pages are free/busy, and how much space they have), inability to split pages, etc.   That why there are things LVP's (Long Value Pages) for storing OLE and Memo fields, and JET simply goes after the last page in a table when it wants to add something.

 It's possible that there have been internal changes with ACE because nothing has been documented since JET 4.0, and even then, there wasn't much documentation.   Just little hints and what not spread in various white papers and MSKB articles.

Jim.