[AccessD] vbWatchdog error handler

Daniel Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Tue May 30 10:08:15 CDT 2023

Hello All -

vbWatchDog is currently $215 for a single developer.  That's a one-time price for version 4, which has been the current version for several years.  Their pricing sheet is here: https://www.everythingaccess.com/vbwatchdog_purchase.asp  There are no royalty charges to your customers.  This is a tiny price for a giant value!

........... "From Joe Anderson - Access MVP (from comments on the pricing sheet)
vbWatchdog is off the chart.  It solves a long standing problem of how to consolidate error handling into one global location and avoid repetitious code within applications.

Among other things, I develop/manage over 25 Microsoft Access databases (mdb/accdb) on my current job.  I have integrated vbWatchdog into a single library mdb.  Each application mdb is referenced to the library mdb, which connects to a single error log mdb on a server.  Virtually any error occurring in any of my apps is automatically written to the error log, all of which is handled by vbWatchdog.   This is HUGE!" ...........

Think of writing Try/Catch code lines into every procedure for 25 Access applications - I've done that for one application but no more!

vbWatchDog did uncover an actual Access bug.  Occasionally, an Access SQL Statement in code which included a sub-statement, would create an error.  This is actually shown in my Access book as 'this is how to do it'.  So, I changed this to first execute the sub SQL Statement to a variable, then include that variable in in the original SQL statement.  After that - no more errors.  I would have never even KNOWN of this without vbWatchDog.

I am NOT trying to say that intense testing prior to release shouldn't be done, but I am saying that a little money plus a couple days implementing vbWatchdog the way you need it is very appropriate for any application.

Dan