[AccessD] Linking to different instance of SQLEXPRESS

Paul Wolstenholme Paul.W at industrialcontrol.co.nz
Mon Sep 4 01:14:46 CDT 2023

Borge,

So as I understand it, you are running one SQL Server service - and that
has been upgraded to be SQL Server Express 2022.

That SQL Server service is probably supporting two database instances
{you've named them SQLEXPRESS and SQLEXPRESS2022} (there will be a
separate pair of files configured for each instance).

When you connect to the SQL Server service you normally specify the default
database (= default instance) that you wish to connect to.  As far as I'm
aware, this doesn't preclude you from accessing other supported instances
from the same connection (unless you have security settings that block
it).  It all depends on how fully you specify what you are accessing - i.e.
with or without the database name at the beginning.

I've never used the SQL Server Browser service and never used anything
other than the default port.  I assumed one SQL Server service would have
one TCP/IP port.

Paul