[AccessD] Access development in the cloud

Eric Flamm eric at flammconsulting.com
Fri Jun 7 13:05:13 CDT 2024

I have a Windows Server VM hosted in Azure - I used the Windows with SQL
Server image and provided my own SQL Server License, which lowers the per
minute cost a bit. I sized the box and associated drives to be more than I
needed to run the monthly process I was handling. I wrote a PowerShell
script to connect to Azure, start the VM, and connect via remote desktop.
Once I finished uploading the data and running the process, I shut down the
VM, which de-provisions the compute (but not the virtual drives). The cost
of running the server is about $7/hour, and I used 2-3 hours per month for
the job. I also loaded Microsoft 365 on the box, so I could do Access
development, especially for discovery projects I didn't want to load
locally.

Since it's a Windows Server VM, supporting 2 user sessions simultaneously
shouldn't be a problem. Of course, the compute cost ticks along whenever
the box is provisioned, so you would need to work out the math on whether
this solution fits your needs. Of course, you can tweak the virtual core
count and RAM spec to impact the operating cost.

Eric