[dba-SQLServer]FW: Very Useful SQL Tool

Myke Myers mmmtbig at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 16 19:23:07 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: .Avery Blog [mailto:no address]
Posted At: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 3:06 PM
Posted To: News Gator
Subject: Very Useful SQL Tool

http://dotnetweblogs.com/JAvery/posts/5738.aspx

With the project I am working I have to maintain a development SQL
database, production SQL database, and the scripts to build the
database. Of course whenever a change is made to the development server
the change has to be made to the scripts and the production server.

I was testing the application today on the production server and noticed
some inconsistencies in the database that were causing problems with the
production application, and I started looking for a way to do some sort
of compare between the two servers. The alternative would have been even
more testing or manually digging through both databases looking for
changes.

A friend of mine pointed me to a utility called
<http://www.adeptsql.com/sql_compare_tool_overview.htm> AdeptSQL Diff. I
downloaded the demo version and gave it a shot. After entering both of
the databases it showed me the differences between the two, including
table differences, stored procedures, and more. It then gave me the
option to script the changes from one database to another one item at a
time, how cool is that?

Needless to say it helped me find and fix the lingering inconsistencies
quickly and easily. If you have to maintain multiple databases then this
tool is a must.

- James