[dba-SQLServer]Truncate Transaction Log

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:07:12 CDT 2003

Thank you everyone for their responses but not sure if it is what I am
looking for.

I am looking for a way of maintaining the virtual size of the transaction
log, not the physical size of the transaction log.  After truncating the
transaction log, the physical log file remains the same.  It is not until
you shrink the transaction log that the physical log reduces in physical
size.

If I understand this correctly, the transaction log consists of an active
and inactive portion.  The active portion is used to restore the database
since last backup.  The inactive portion is just old records that need to be
deleted.  When you backup the transaction log, SQL Server truncates the
inactive portion so that it can be reused.

Then how come the transaction log keeps physically growing in size even
though full backups and transaction log backups are being applied daily?
Because the transaction log is being backed up, the inactive portion is
truncated and should be reused, thereby the transaction log physical size
should remain the same.  You shouldn't need to shrink down the transaction
log if you are applying transaction log routinely, right? because the
inactive portion of the log is reused.

Thanks in advance,
Billy