[dba-SQLServer]SQL server on VLAN, in own workgroup

Haslett, Andrew andrew.haslett at ilc.gov.au
Sun Aug 24 21:20:29 CDT 2003

Rich, assuming you are authenticating through mixed mode, then you shouldn't
have to set up a trust.

The fact that you cannot ping the server by its name means that there is no
DNS server resolving its name that you can access, which as I understand it,
means that Names Pipes cannot be used (not sure about that though).

Therefore you must ensure TCP/IP is setup in the Server network utility (and
the network card on the server) and the client network utility on your
machine to create an ALIAS.

Are you sure the SQL account you are trying to connect to on the server is
availiable and it is running in mixed mode? Is it running in
'Single-User-Mode'? Can you connect to the server FROM the server itself
using this account?  Have you tried connecting to the server using the IP
address AND the port number eg. 192.168.0.44:1433?

Perhaps you can tell us what the TCP/IP settings are on your network card
(such as IP address, subnet, dns, gateway) and of the network card on the
server.  (You can also type ipconfig /all at a command prompt to get this
info).

Definitely a puzzling one!

Cheers,
Andrew