[dba-SQLServer]OT - Veritas Backup of Transaction Logs

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Fri Feb 28 12:19:23 CST 2003

I've not used Veritas extensively, but did happen to notice how purchasing
extensions to their program was nothing more than getting a new activation
key for each module :o) Pretty slick.  IIRC, there is the standard Backup,
Plus the module for Open Files, and Sql Server.  However I don't remember if
they also had a transaction log module.  As an aside, SQL Server's built in
backups can be scheduled to back up the logs every n'th hour as you would
like.  Just a suggestion, since you are using a trial.  For me there seems
no reason to want to buy Vertias, because if your system did suddenly go
down, you'd still would have to rebuild the server before you could restore
the backup info from Veritas unless of course you purchase that module
too... in the end each module is about $500 bucks (last time I checked,
making the SQL server backup a purchase of over $2k :O seems a bit pricey.
Especially since you dont' get more than just running normal sql Server
backups.  also so that you don't loose your DTS packages or login, make sure
you make backups of both the MSDB and Master databases.

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com