[dba-SQLServer]Linked SQL Server Login Problems

Mark Boyd MarkBoyd at McBeeAssociates.com
Mon Jul 7 13:34:53 CDT 2003

I have linked 2 SQL Servers (SQL1 and SQL2) using sp_addlinkedserver.  I
used this sproc to link SQL1 to SQL2, then SQL2 to SQL1.
In Enterprise Mgr on SQL1 or SQL2, I can access the other server without
a problem.
When I use Enterprise Mgr on my laptop, I cannot connect to either
server.  I receive the following error: "Login failed for user '(null)'.
Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.".
I went into the properties of each linked server, and changed
"...connections will be made using this security context:" to a valid
login on each server.  I still receive the above error, with the login
in place of (null).
I've also tried using sp_addlinkedsrvlogin, but have not had much luck.

Any ideas as to why I am receiving this message?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Boyd

Sr. Systems Analyst