[dba-SQLServer]Architecture/how to do it advice

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Tue Jul 29 13:41:13 CDT 2003

Mark,

You said "There are many ways to architect software, and standards exist
to keep everyone in the organization on the same page.  If the software
they create is to be maintained by your organization, it has to be made
to your standards."

Truer words were never spoken.  I've worked at some places that had no
software standards and trying to clean up the messes left by
contractors/former employees was no fun.  I remember one example where
it took me two weeks to figure out what a seven page procedure did.  It
was easy to see the procedure had been patched at least three different
times by three different people that used different naming and coding
styles, all different from the original.  Several of the patches
duplicated work of the original probably because the patcher couldn't
figure out where or how the existing code did it.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency
1701 N. Congress Ave