[dba-SQLServer]Open Letter to MS Help department

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Mar 25 08:20:58 CST 2003

Lately I have been researching the SQL-DMO library, so that I can write a
tool to backup and restore databases for MSDE installations where Enterprise
Manager is not present. Not one of your MSDN examples is complete. You can't
cut and paste any of them into a module. They all contain provisos such as

' creation of the oSQLServer object is not covered here
oSQLServer.DoSomething

Which means that you have to go look up the SQLServer object and find an
example of how to create it, then copy and paste that into your current
code. It's not that big a deal: one line to declare it and another to
instantiate it -- but that's precisely the point! Are you so short of cash
and/or time that you can't add a couple of lines to the examples so they
work? And even these examples are not installed, unless you specifically
install them -- which means go find the CD, navigate to the samples
directory and copy the relevant subdirs.

All is not lost, however. Turns out that google is the best way to search
this stuff. Type a propertyname such as RelocateFiles into google and you
get some meaningful and instructive hits -- unlike the MSDN docs or the
"help" files.

Your friend,
Arthur

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."